NAMS: Music Department Philosophy
Music is a vital component in developing the whole child and the New Albany Plain Local Schools Music Department believes that music is an integral part of a student’s overall education. Music education offers a unique learning opportunity to explore individual creativity, artistic expression and in-depth understanding of past and present cultures in our diverse world.
Music education and ensemble participation require students to develop their musical abilities through regular practice, self-reflection, teamwork and many other skills which support learning across the curriculum.
We believe that all students should have a comprehensive, balanced, and sequential curriculum of in-school instruction in music education in accordance with national, state and local standards.
NAPLS: Music Department Goals
Through a planned, sequential curriculum, New Albany Plain Local Schools will educate each student in conjunction with the National Core Music Standards, enabling students to engage in the Four Artistic Processes (create, perform, respond, and connect to music) as developed by the National Coalition for Core Arts Standards and the Ohio Music Standards. Students will demonstrate skills and knowledge in each of the following artistic processes:
- Imagine - Generate musical ideas for various purposes and contexts
- Plan and make - Select and develop musical ideas for defined purposes
- Evaluate and refine - Evaluate and refine selected musical ideas to create musical work that meets appropriate criteria
- Present - Share creative musical work that conveys intent, demonstrates craftsmanship, and exhibits originality
- Select - Select varied musical works to present based on interest, knowledge, technical skill, and context
- Analyze - Analyze the structure and context of varied musical works and their implications for performance
- Interpret - Develop personal interpretations that consider creators' intent
- Evaluate and refine - Evaluate and refine personal and ensemble performances, individually or in collaboration with others
- Present - Perform expressively, with appropriate interpretation and technical accuracy, and in a manner appropriate to the audience and context
- Select - Choose music appropriate for a specific purpose or situation
- Analyze - Analyze how the structure and context of varied musical works inform the response
- Interpret - Support interpretations of musical works that reflect creators'/performers' expressive intent
- Evaluate - Support evaluations of musical works and performances based on analysis, interpretation, and established criteria
- Connect - Synthesize and relate knowledge and personal experiences to make music
- Connect - Relating musical ideas to varied contexts and daily life to deepen understanding