Safety at the Bus Stop
School bus safety is a high priority for New Albany - Plain Local Schools. Students, parents, teachers, administrators, transportation personnel and the community all play important roles in keeping our children safe while on or around the school bus.
Please take a moment to review the following safety tips to help ensure our children arrive to and from school safely each day:
- Get to the school bus stop five minutes early, to avoid needing to run across the road to catch the bus.
- When waiting for the bus, stay away from traffic. Line up at least five giant steps away from the curb or the roadway to wait for the bus.
- Maintain social distancing of 3 to 6 feet from friends and wear a mask.
- Never run after the school bus if it has already left the bus stop.
- Never push when getting on or off of the school bus.
- Always walk at least 10 feet in front of the bus when crossing so that the school bus driver can see you.
- Be aware – Cross with Care! Wait until the school bus has stopped all traffic and the driver has given the hand signal before stepping out onto the road.