Welcome to Grade 6 Choir
What is Choir?
Choir is a performance group devoted to the study and performance of music from a wide spectrum of musical styles. The class includes an introduction to fundamental singing techniques, musical reading skills, and part-singing that are all necessary to the foundation for developing musicianship. At least two public performances will be held each year. The class is open to all 6th grade students and rehearses two or three times a week.
- Everyone is born with musical ability.
- Music is an important component for developing a well rounded student.
- Singing is a skill that can be learned.
- Teamwork is an important building block to the NAMS Choirs
National Music Standards
While at New Albany Middle School, choir members learn a wide range of quality choral repertoire ranging from classical and jazz to spirituals and multicultural music, spanning from the Medieval to Contemporary periods.
In addition to learning strong choral repertoire, NAMS choral rehearsals are centered on the nine national standards of music education, as determined by the Music Educators National Conference (MENC):
- Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
- Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
- Reading and notating music.
- Listening to, analyzing, and notating music.
- Evaluating music and music performances.
- Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
- Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
I've decided, now what?
You need to register for choir. When you receive the email before spring break to choose a music class, select the choir option.