English Language Learners (ELL)
New Albany Plain Local Schools continues to experience a significant population growth. Not only has the population increased in size, but the diversity has also expanded. As a result, our English Language Learners (ELL) population has more than doubled in the past six years and continues to grow every day. We currently have over 175 ELL students in grades K-12. Our ELL students are immersed in our schools in all general classrooms and are supported according to their level of proficiency. We provide English support through a variety of strategies depending on the need of the child, including the use of inclusion, pull-out programs, and additional support as needed. In addition, the ELL Staff works closely with the classroom teachers in maximizing academic vocabulary development. Through working collaboratively, our program’s goal is to have students become proficient in English in a timely matter.
Want more English practice for you or your student? Click here for great links and resources.
Our NAPLS families come from all over the world.
English Language Learning Services
Pull Out Instruction
- Some beginning and/or intermediate language students receive ELL Instruction
- Content area learning and vocabulary development may be reinforced during this time
Collaborative Instructional Services
- High intermediate and advanced students
- Support given in the classroom through collaboration between Classroom Teacher and ELL Staff
ELL Assisted Study Center
- ELL Staff provides instructional assistance in content areas and English language
Monitoring Advanced/Trial Mainstream
- Student participates in Mainstream Language Arts and content area classes
- ELL Teacher monitors progress for continued success in reading, writing, speaking and listening
NAPLS ELL Department Goals
- Assure that ELL students attain English proficiency.
- Integrate language and content instruction to develop academic competencies.
- Meet the same challenging academic achievement standards as all other students.
Ohio English Language Proficiency (ELP) Standards
Ohio’s strategic plan for education, Each Child, Our Future, highlights the importance of providing accessible, high-quality instruction to support English learners. In addition, Each Child Means Each Child: Ohio’s Plan to Improve Learning Experiences and Outcomes for Students with Disabilities offers recommendations to guide the inclusion of students with disabilities and their families.
Ohio English Language Proficiency Standards and the Ohio Learning Standards-Extended for English Language Proficiency describe expectations for the effective instruction of all students who are English learners, including those with the most significant cognitive disabilities. Ohio English Language Proficiency Standards apply to all English learners attending Ohio’s public and nonpublic schools in grades K-12. The Ohio English Language Proficiency Standards are the basis for integrated English language instruction as measured by the current Ohio English Language Proficiency Screener and Ohio English Language Proficiency Assessment.
Languages ofour ELL Students
Japanese Chinese Arabic Korean Spanish Vietnamese Tamil Telugu Amharic Kannada Bengal Malayalam Bulgarian Oromo Ibo Polish Swedish Portuguese Ewe Punjabi Fulani Russian French German Gujarati Somali Macedonian Marathi Hindi Urdu