About Elementary 2-5
In all New Albany Elementary Schools we strive to create a learning environment that inspires excellence; we propose to sustain an orderly atmosphere and positive climate for learning, and to develop a curriculum rich in various educational experiences. We believe our developmentally appropriate practices will help children:
- Acquire knowledge, skills, and attitudes for becoming lifelong learners.
- Develop competency in effective communication, critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making.
- Become responsible citizens who contribute to the preservation of resources and the improvement of society.
- Appreciate differences and increase understanding of self and others.
- Establish habits of wellness, self-esteem, confidence, and independence to enhance the quality of life.
We believe in addressing the diverse needs of students through group and differentiated instruction. We believe in authentic learning activities, multiple forms of assessment, and the establishment of grade level benchmarks to evaluate student progress. We believe in helping elementary students learn social appropriateness through cooperative work and enrichment activities. We realize the importance of technology as a tool to help young people learn and grow. We value the inclusion of special needs students in classrooms to ensure the least restrictive environment for learning.
We believe that parent involvement is essential to the academic success of our students. We welcome parent participation at home and in our school through the PTO (Parent-Teacher Organization) and the VISA program (Volunteers in School Activities), and we appreciate parents as an audience for student demonstrations and performances. A dedicated staff and supportive community have enabled recognition of our K-5 program in 2002 as a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence.