New Albany-Plain Local Board of Education hears facilities recommendation and operating levy options
The New Albany-Plain Local School Board of Education held a special meeting / work session on Monday, June 11, to hear a report and recommendation from the Facilities Advisory Committee, and consider several choices for additional operating revenue. It is important to emphasize – no decisions have been made at this time.
In an effort to engage the community in conversation regarding facilities and financial planning, the Board meeting was videotaped.
Members of the Facilities Committee, led by committee Chair Tracy Hohman, provided an updated long-range facilities plan to the board that will, in turn, affect the Board’s decision regarding a future bond levy. The committee’s work is focused on educational innovation, as they address the need for educational space.
As part of their presentation, the Facilities Advisory Committee provided many significant resources and materials. Copies of the presentation, videos and informational hand-outs are provided below:
- PowerPoint: Facilities Advisory Committee presentation
- Handout: Reinventing Education
- Handout: A Few Examples of Educational Innovation Occuring at NAPLS
- Handout: Facilities Advisory Committee overview
- Video: High Tech High – San Diego 21st Century Skills Culture
- Video: School of One – New York City
- Video: Bishop Strachan Junior School – Reggio Emilia inspired innovation
- View Book Trailer: Creating Innovators: The Making of Young People Who Will Change the World, By Tony Wagner
Even though the district has worked diligently to extend resources as far as possible, the Five-year Financial Forecast projects the district’s expenditures will exceed revenues by the end of Fiscal Year 2014 (June 30, 2014.) As a result, the Board of Education is considering several choices for additional revenue including two-year, three-year or four-year levy options. Superintendent April Domine presented detailed levy options to members of the Board during the Work Session:
Financial Review and Reporting Committee (FRRC) invites public to learn more about district finances by attending FRRC meetings
The Financial Review and Reporting Committee (FRRC) holds regular meeting to review district finances and make recommendations regarding fiscal operations. This committee works closely with the Board of Education and its responsibilities include:
- Sharing business and financial best practices from the private and public sectors
- Reviewing financial forecasts and audit results
- Reviewing and providing feedback regarding expenditure practices
- Reviewing schedules of levies (timing, type, amounts)
- Reviewing and making recommendations regarding financial information that may impact the District’s ability to meet its stated educational philosophy and goals.
The FRRC welcomes the public’s attendance at meetings. The next meeting will be held at 9 a.m., Monday, June 18 in the Administrative Office, 55 North High Street, New Albany. The committee’s agendas and minutes are also posted here.
Martin Saperstein, Ph.D., to present Community Survey results to NAPLS Board of Education during Work Session/Special Meeting, June 18
In its effort to hear from as many constituents as possible regarding school district operations, the New Albany-Plain Local Board of Education engaged Saperstein Associates to conduct a comprehensive community survey. Martin Saperstein, Ph.D. will present results of the 2012 Community Survey, including community reaction to possible levy options, to the board during a work session, 6:30 p.m., Monday, June 18 at Mershad Hall, McCoy Center.
The community is encouraged to attend to learn more. Survey results will also be posted on theNAPLS website following the meeting.
Monday, June 18: Finance Review and Reporting Committee meeting, 9 a.m. @ Administrative Office, New Albany-Plain Local Schools, 55 N. High Street, New Albany
Monday, June 18: New Albany-Plain Local Board of Education, work session/special meeting, 6:30 p.m. @ Mershad Hall, McCoy Center
Monday, June 25: New Albany-Plain Local Board of Education, regular meeting, 6:30 p.m. @ Mershad Hall, McCoy Center